This is the department that looks at community welfare improvement in four aspects of education, livelihoods, good governance and gender empowerment. The vision for the department is “empowered and progressive community in West Nile and Uganda at large.
Goal: To improve and promote quality health services accessibility to communities for self-reliance in West Nile.
- To strengthen the relationships with the communities as well as the District Health Offices.
- To carry out regular meetings with the stakeholders so as to share the experiences that will help the department improve on its services rendered to the communities.
- To improve on the level of knowledge acquisition by the communities on accessing the health services from the existing government health structures.
- To create more partnerships among the stakeholders and RICE-WN.
Programs under Integrated Humanitarian Response:
Goal: To raise the standard and relevance of education to suit the needs of the communities in west Nile
- To increase enrollment and retention of pupils in primary schools
- To increase parents participation in the education of their children
- To bring about child friendly school environment
- To influence education policy and curriculum based on findings from communities
- Community mobilization
- Community sensitization
- Training of Functional Adult Literacy (FAL) groups
- Peace education
- Environmental health education
- English proficiency through debates and essay competitions
Goal: To empower the youth for self-reliance and community participation in good governance
- To enable the youth embrace income generation for self-reliance.
- To encourage the youth to take part in good governance of their communities.
- To connect the youth to existing opportunities for development.
- Youth training on life skills, Income generating activities, small business management and good governance practices
- Initiate youth self-help income generating activities.
- Youth culture building and standard behavior for success
Goal: To increase community benefits from trade through peaceful trading and savings culture.
- To enable communities understand the appropriate savings methodologies, trade and taxation systems and loan management.
- To strengthen the culture of cooperation among the members.
- To provide easy access to loans for the communities.
- To empower the small scale traders with skills that make them prosper.
- Trader group formation and registration
- Training on taxes, savings and trading
- Dialogues with government and security officials
Goal: To promote rights awareness, transparency and accountability
- To increase awareness on citizens’ rights and responsibilities.
- To engage communities in monitoring of government programs and demand accountability from their leaders.
- To build the capacity of the leaders on community feedback system.
- To promote peace and harmony in the communities
- Civic education and civic engagement
- Training of communities on transparency and accountability
- Training of the local government leaders on community engagement and feedback system
- Peace building and conflict transformation.